There are so many things that I would like to achieve. I often find myself procrastinating as I just do not know where to start.
A model that maybe helpful for you is the GROW model. This is often used in mentoring. Below is a summary:
- What specifically would you like to achieve?
- What would you like to happen that is not happening now?
Remember for a goal to be effective it has to be SMART – specific, measurable, agreed, realistic and time bound
Develop and awareness of the issues surrounding your goal. Ask yourself the following questions:
- What is happening at the moment?
- How often does this happen?
- What results did it produce?
- What is another way of looking at this problem?
Consider all the possible options that you can take to achieve your goal.
- What possibilities for action do you see?
- What else could you do?
- What are the advantages of each option?
- What are the disadvantages of each option?
- Which of these options would give you the best result and why?
- What has worked in this situation before? What would a person you admire, do?
Determine exactly what you are going to do. Select the most appropriate steps and agree them – which of the options are you going to put into practice.
- How will this option address your goal?
- How will you know you have achieved success?
- What are you going to do precisely at each step?
- What obstacles do you need to overcome?
- What support do you need?
Write to ‘Dear Counsellor’ and have your voice heard? Email address: